Estimate Works™ for Word has a number of features specifically designed for companies with multiple estimators. Features include import/export functions for transferring estimate records between locations, import/export functions for transferring rates and settings and the ability to connect to a single data source over a LAN (Local Area Network).
Estimates can be exported and imported between different Estimate Works Enterprise users. The export creates an XML file of the estimate data that can be sent to another user by email etc. and imported. The export files are saved by default to the 'Export' directory ('C:\Users\Public\Documents\Estimate Works V6\Export\') or you can browse to save the file to any chosen location. To import the file, save it to your computer - the import opens by default to the 'Import' directory ('C:\Users\Public\Documents\Estimate Works V6\import\') but you can browse to any location you choose.
The data exported contains both the client information and all the details pertaining to that particular estimate.
Estimates are imported according to the following specifications:
- If the estimate number already exists the user will be advised. The new estimate details will be displayed in the estimate form, but the original estimate will not be overwritten until the user saves the record by clicking the 'Save' button.
- If the estimate number does not already exist, new estimate details will be displayed in the estimate form, but the estimate record will not be created until the user saves the record by clicking the 'Save' button.
- If the client already exists (based on the client last name, first name and/or company name), the user will be advised and will be prompted to view the client record with the details in the import file. The original client record will not be overwritten until the user saves the record by clicking the 'Save' button. If the user chooses not to view the client record, the original client details will remain and will not be overwritten by any new client details in the estimate record.
Important: When using the Enterprise version and importing/exporting estimates between users, it is very important to set company policy on the allocation of estimate numbers to avoid confusion and the possibility of overwriting existing estimate records.
Estimate Numbers are automatically generated based on the next record number in the database but additional information should be added to the estimate number to positively identify the estimate. A suggestion is to have the estimator that is originally creating the estimate add their initials to the estimate number, or use something unique such as the street address.
All current rates and settings can be exported and imported into another Estimate Works database (Administration - Export or Import Rates and Settings on the main toolbar). Note that when importing rates and settings, all rates and settings defaults in the current database will be overwritten, however the data in existing estimates will not be affected. The data imported/exported includes :
- Company Information and Estimators
- Materials Rates and Descriptions
- Extra Fees and Charges
- Included/Excluded Items lists
- Lookup tables (Room/Area Descriptions, Warranty Terms, Payment Date, Referrers, Estimate Status, Client Prefixes)
Fonts and Styles used on Estimate Works document templates can be exported and imported between computers. These styles are saved on each computer and must be configured for every computer where Estimate Works is installed regardless of whether or not it is a network installation. To export or import the styles on a computer select Administration - Import/Export Styles from the toolbar.
To export a file, click the 'Export Settings Style' button and select the folder where you would like the export file to be created. The EWStyles.reg file will be written to the specified directory. To import the file, copy the EWStyles.reg file to the new computer and click the 'Import Settings Style' button and browse to the EWStyles.reg file.
See Styles and Font Settings for more information on configuring Estimate Works document template styles.
Setting the Data Source:
Changing the path to the database can be easily accomplished using the Set Data Source form accessed through Administration - Set Data Source.
When you open the form, you will see the directory path to the database you are currently connected to in the Current Database Name and Path field. To connect to a different database, click the 'Locate Data Source' button. Browse to the new database on the open window and click 'Open'. If you have selected a file, it will now be displayed in the New Database Name and Path field. If your selection is correct, click the 'Apply' button. When you re-open an Estimate Works form, you will be connected to the new database you have selected. *Note: Close all open forms in the Estimate Works program before changing the data source. (see Setting the Data Source for more info on this topic)
Creating Outlook Appointments with Exchange Server:
Client appointments created from selecting the Outlook Appt button on the Client Information tab of the estimator forms can be sent to employees with exchange server accounts on the network. To use exchange server accounts, enter the employee exchange shared folder name on the Employee form (Settings - Misc Defaults - Employees on the toolbar) then select to send to the exchange shared appointment folder when prompted when you create the new appointment.